Sally Casanova Pre-Doctoral Scholarship
The California Pre-Doctoral Program is designed to increase diversity within the pool of university faculty by supporting the doctoral aspirations of students in the CSU.
The California Pre-Doctoral Program will award funds to approximately 76 juniors, seniors and graduate students in the CSU. These funds are designed to enable current students to explore and prepare to succeed in doctoral programs in their chosen field of study. Awards are based on competitive review of student applications and given to current upper-division or graduate students who, in the judgment of the review panel, demonstrate academic excellence while having experienced economic or educational disadvantage, and who are committed to a career in teaching and research at the university level. All matriculated students enrolled on a CSU campus are eligible to participate.
Students who are chosen for this prestigious award are designated Sally Casanova Scholars as a tribute to Dr. Sally Casanova, for whom the Pre-Doctoral Scholarship is named. As a Sally Casanova Scholar, students will have unique opportunities to explore and prepare to succeed in doctoral programs. Students will have the benefit of direct one-on-one guidance afforded from faculty members from within the CSU, and the opportunity to work with faculty from doctoral-granting institutions. In addition the program provides:
- Travel Funds for the student to visit U.S. doctoral-granting institutions and/or to attend professional meetings appropriate to the student's development.
- Development Funds for other related activities, such as student membership in professional organizations, subscriptions to academic journals, graduate school applications and test fees, GRE preparation, and the cost of minor research materials, for example.
- A Summer Research Experience following the award of the scholarship, recipients are given the opportunity to do research at a University of California campus or other U.S. doctoral granting university, fully funded by the Pre-Doctoral Program, so that the scholar can participate in doctoral-level research prior to enrolling in a Ph.D. program.
Who is eligible to apply?
- Juniors, seniors, and master's degree students (Students interested in obtaining professional master's or doctoral degrees such as law, medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, or an MBA degree, for example, are not eligible)
- Must be enrolled at a CSU campus for at least one semester of the academic year that they apply for the scholarship
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
Students interested in applying for the 2024-2025 Sally Casanova Pre-Doctoral Scholarship should sign up for an informational workshop.