Graduate Student Forms

Electronic Forms (E-Forms) are available for students in master's, doctoral, and advanced certificate programs. Online forms make it easy for students to submit and reduce processing time. If you have any questions about any form, please contact your graduate advisor, or Graduate Studies at [email protected] or 619-594-5213.

The Registrar’s office maintains forms for Late Schedule Adjustment, and Retroactive Course Changes. See the “Other Petitions and Forms” table at the bottom of this page.

Graduate Studies maintains the following forms:

Commonly Used Forms
Form Name
Advisor Initiated
Student Initiated
Change of Status X X

Advancement to Candidacy
*Students: please review your degree evaluation. Not all programs allow students to submit this request.

X X*
Petition for Adjustment of Academic Requirements (PAAR) X X

Appointment of Master's Thesis Committee
*See additional instructions below

Changing the Degree Objective
Form Name
Advisor Initiated
Student Initiated
Request for Permission to Enter an Advanced Certificate Program X X
Request to Change Master's Program   X
Request to Change Concentration Objective (Fowler College of Business)  X  
Request to Change Degree Objective (Clinical Psychology) X  

Request to Change Degree Objective (School Psychology)

Degree Progress and Degree Completion
Form Name
Advisor Initiated
Student Initiated
Thesis Committee Form X  
Petition for Late Graduation Application   X
Graduation Cancellation Request   X
Report of Final Exam or Thesis Defense X  
Report of Foreign Language Completion X X

Notification of Completion of Advanced Certificate Program

Special Petitions
Form Name
Advisor Initiated
Student Initiated
Petition to Repeat WU Graded Courses X X
Validation for Recency X X
Appeal for Time Limit Extension X X
Request for Letter of Completion   X
Withdrawal or Dismissal from Program X X
Petition for Immediate Reinstatement After Disqualification   X



To initiate a form, first log into my.SDSU

Next, select the Academic Records tile.

Academic Records tile

Choose Student Records Forms from the side menu, and then click to select the desired form. Your name, Red ID, EMPL ID, and program information will automatically populate into the form. Once you submit your form, it will be routed to the appropriate approver(s).

Graduate Student Forms Menu

For assistance, please refer to the Student Forms User Guide.


If you are a graduate advisor and looking to initiate a form on behalf of a student, or view pending petitions, please log in to OnBase here. You can also initiate forms directly from my.SDSU

More resources can be found on the Graduate Advisor page and in the Grad Advisor OnBase Forms User Guide.

Other Petitions and Forms

Go to this page for information about thesis committee forms and approval process.

After the University Schedule Adjustment deadline, students are expected to complete all courses in which they are enrolled. However, for fully documented, serious and compelling reasons that were not known at the time of registration, the student may request a Late Schedule Adjustment by obtaining appropriate authorizations. The request can be submitted through the Registrar's Office website.

The student must provide a type-written statement describing the request, provide supporting documentation and verification that you have notified your course instructor of your request and obtained your grade-to-date in the course (e.g. a screenshot or PDF of your email conversation). The student will need to provide 1 petition for each course, unless withdrawing from the entire semester.

All Late Schedule Adjustment Petitions take 7-10 business days for review. Students will be contacted by email of the decision. Any petitions that are submitted with insufficient documentation or incomplete forms will delay processing beyond 10 business days.

If a student feels that serious and compelling circumstances that were not known at the time of registration and were clearly beyond their control prevented fulfillment of academic obligations, they may request to retroactively add or withdraw from a course(s) after the semester has ended by submitting a Graduate Petition for Retroactive Course Changes to Graduate Studies. This form is available at the Registrar's Office website.
The Graduate Petition for Retroactive Course Changes requires the approval of the instructors of the courses involved, and the approval of the graduate advisor. (Email correspondence must be attached to the form). Supporting documentation must accompany the Petition for Retroactive Course Changes.
If approved, the Registrar's Office requires the student to pay a processing fee to the Cashier's Office.
Note: Students should be aware that the University policy permits approval of this petition only if the student can demonstrate that serious and compelling circumstances clearly beyond their control prevented fulfillment of academic obligations. Supporting documentation is required.

Students who have been academically disqualified for more than 1 semester or left the university on academic probation and want to continue with their program must complete the Petition for Readmission and Reinstatement After Disqualification. Before submitting this form, the student should first reapply to the university during the application filing period. (Visit the Graduate Admissions Office website for application deadlines). Once the application has been completed and submitted, the student must submit this petition to the Graduate Admissions Office for review. The application will not be released electronically to the program for review unless the Readmission petition is approved.

This petition must be completed in conjunction with the graduate advisor. The student and advisor must agree on coursework and grade plan that will avoid another disqualification. The minimum Program of Study GPA, Post-baccalaureate GPA, and all other degree requirements should be attainable in a reasonable time frame.

Petition for Readmission After Disqualification, or on Probation Form

The following Online Diploma Service is available through our official diploma vendor, the Michael Sutter Company.

  • Order a replacement diploma - Order your diploma easily online. You will be able to choose Standard Delivery or Express Overnight Delivery. There is a $20.00 charge for each Diploma Replacement. Your Diploma will be printed and mailed within 1-2 days of receiving your payment.
  • Order an Official SDSU eDiploma - Your SDSU eDiploma is a Signed and Certified PDF of your original paper diploma used for easy degree verification purposes. The SDSU eDiploma is a one-time charge of $20.00. You will receive your eDiploma within minutes of submitting your payment. You can then share your eDiploma as often as you need. (An e-diploma cannot be released until your original diploma has been issued by Graduate Studies).
  • Diploma Status - Search the status of your diploma order whether it is your new diploma or replacement diploma.

To place an order, visit and click on "Submit a Diploma Request". You will be prompted to enter in as much information as possible and then click "Submit My Diploma Request". Further instructions will be sent to you via email within 3-5 business days. 

For notary services, please select the "notary" option when ordering your diploma.

Online Diploma Service

(*Fee is subject to change.)

Effective Fall 2020, you may select to have your legal, chosen, or previous name on file, appear on your diploma. For information, visit Office of the Registrar Name & Gender Change Procedures website. Include all necessary punctuation, spacing, special character(s), etc for your name. Please note that your SDSU transcripts will reflect your legal name, which may not match your diploma.