Graduation is not automatic upon completion of your degree requirements!
Grade requirements: Here are the grade requirements for all graduate students.
You must declare your intention to graduate by filing an Application for Graduation with an Advanced Degree.
The application for graduation is a two step process. Students must apply through my.SDSU by selecting the application for graduation option under the Academic Records tile. As students proceed through the application process, they will be prompted to pay a one-time non-refundable application fee. After the application fee has been paid, students must navigate back into their application to formally submit the application.
The application is due 3-6 months before the official diploma date and must be done through your my.SDSU account. Application deadlines are posted on the Academic Calendar and on the Graduate Studies homepage. A registration hold may prevent you from applying to graduate. For more information on registration holds, check your “Tasks” tile in your my.SDSU account or the Registrar's Office website on how to resolve it: https://registrar.sdsu.edu/students/registration/registration_holds
If you have missed the deadline for graduation applications, contact the Graduate Studies office to determine whether it is possible to petition for a late application.Diploma Name
Commencement ceremonies are held each year at the end of the spring semester for students completing degrees in the spring and summer terms, or the fall of the previous calendar year. Students who wish to participate in commencement must apply to graduate. Master’s, doctoral and EdS students from across campus will be celebrated in dedicated ceremonies that are separate from the undergraduate-oriented events. Some departments, schools, and individual degree programs hold additional events for graduates at the end of the semester.
BBS Certification Instructions
1) Upon awarding (official posting) a student's degree (confirmed via the unofficial transcripts) students may email their Form A and B to Graduate Studies ([email protected]). Do not email your Form A and B until your degree has been awarded.
NOTE: Graduate Studies will forward completed forms directly to the Board of Behavioral Sciences and will not be sending copies to students. Processing of forms may take 4-6 weeks.
2) Order official transcripts with the Office of the Registrar:
- Log on to my.SDSU
- Select Academic Records, then Request Official Transcript
- Select certified electronic PDF version
- Complete required information. Indicate electronic transcripts to be emailed to one of the following: (The corresponding email address should be in relation to appropriate licensure the student is to receive).
- Make payment
- Submit request
3) Students mail their completed package to BBS (excluding Form A, Form B, and official transcripts).
Diplomas are mailed out 10-12 weeks after the date of graduation. It is the student's responsibility to provide the correct address through their my.SDSU.
Replacement Diploma/eDiploma Order
The following Online Diploma Service is available through our official diploma vendor, the Michael Sutter Company.
- Order a replacement diploma - Order your diploma easily online. You will be able to choose Standard Delivery or Express Overnight Delivery. There is a $20.00 charge for each Diploma Replacement. Your Diploma will be printed and mailed within 1-2 days of receiving your payment.
- Order an Official SDSU eDiploma - Your SDSU eDiploma is a Signed and Certified PDF of your original paper diploma used for easy degree verification purposes. The SDSU eDiploma is a one-time charge of $20.00. You will receive your eDiploma within minutes of submitting your payment. You can then share your eDiploma as often as you need. (An e-diploma cannot be released until your original diploma has been issued by Graduate Studies).
- Diploma Status - Search the status of your diploma order whether it is your new diploma or replacement diploma.
To place an order, visit https://www.michaelsutter.com/